Political crisis affected country’s economy – Ravi Karunanayake
The United National Party yesterday called a special media breifing to explain the present political crisis within the country.
Joining the briefing MP Ravi Karunanayake said the present political crisis has affected the country’s economy.
MP Karunanayake noted the victory claimed on the 8th of January 2015 is being violated.
He noted a public mandate was sought to eliminate a dictatorship rule adding however glimpses of dictatorship rule is seen once again.
The MP added the innocent public are affected due to this.
MP Karunanayake said the UNP took over a crippled economy adding however when efforts were underway to strengthen the economy the process was hindered.
The Parliamentarian stressed no foreign country has accepted the newly appointed government adding the country should move forward through international relations.
He said the International Monetary Fund should not intervene in making decisions adding however the country needs funds from them.
The MP said even the World Bank has rejected Sri Lanka adding grants obtained from Japan and America have also been withdrawn.
MP Ravi Karunanayake said the measures taken by the faction led by the President pushed back the economy by several years.
(Source: News Radio)
- Two officers of Agrarian Service Centre arrested for soliciting a bribe June 6, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s LGBTQ+ community holds Pride march, demands end to discrimination June 5, 2023
- India’s first international cruise from Chennai to Sri Lanka to be flagged off today June 5, 2023
- ‘Sandahiru Seya Charity Trust’ donates Dialysis Machine to Anuradhapura Hospital June 5, 2023
- Sri Lanka records lowest tourism monthly income of US$ 132 Million in May June 5, 2023
- JVP asks public not to be distracted by circuses June 5, 2023
- Litro LP Gas prices in Sri Lanka reduced from today (June 04) June 4, 2023
Thank you for the words of wisdom, Ravi.
Statesmen are born during times of crisis.
The UNP has produced many during current incident.
The country’s economy is ruined because of the corrupted politicians and not the current political crisis. Of all people you should know this better.
Brother Karu. From January 2015 was the economy in Sri Lanka good? Please do not talk through your hat!
Well the Rupee has gone up against US $. Are you standing on your head?
Well, the Rupee went up because of the Central bank’s intervention by buying USD with reserves meant to strengthen our credit ratings and demonstrate capacity to service debt!