Pope Francis Meets MR And Gotabhaya
Pope Francis met former President Mahinda Rajapaksa, former First Lady Shiranthi Rajapaksa and former Defence Secretary Gotabhaya Rajapaksa at Vatican Embassy.
Pope Francis was first invited to visit Sri Lanka by former President Mahinda Rajapaksa. Although he was invited to welcome the Pope at Bandaranaike International Airport on Tuesday by the new government, the former President was not present at the event.
Gotabhaya Rajapaksa, who met Pope Francis in Vatican last year, was instrumental in facilitating the Papal visit. The former Defence Secretary’s wife, Ayoma Rajapaksa too was present at the meeting.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Asian Games 2023: India women bag Gold medal in cricket September 25, 2023
- Sachithra Senanayake granted bail September 25, 2023
- Wanindu Hasaranga likely to miss ICC World Cup due to hamstring injury – report September 25, 2023
- Sri Lanka receives USD 890,000 interim compensation for damages by X-Press Pearl September 24, 2023
- Sri Lanka pays off $200 million loan from Bangladesh with $4.5 million interest September 24, 2023