President celebrates 42 years in politics
Today is the 42nd anniversary of President Mahinda Rajapaksa having first entered Parliament as its youngest MP in 1970.
It was at the general election held on May 27, 1970 that President Rajapaksa was elected Member of Parliament for the Beliatta electorate.
Contesting under the SLFP ticket, he polled 23,103 votes. His nearest rival Dr. Ranjith Atapattu of the UNP polled only 16,499 votes and lost to young Rajapaksa. He was honoured in Parliament by being assigned to deliver the Vote of Thanks on behalf of the Sirimavo Bandaranaike-led Government.
Since then, he won all Parliamentary elections until he became President in 2005.
Even after becoming the First Citizen, he amply demonstrated his passion for Parliamentary politics by attending Parliament regularly.
Courtesy: Sunday Observer
- India did more for Sri Lanka than IMF – Jaishankar May 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka to Issue digital birth certificates May 28, 2023
- Nathasha Edirisooriya arrested over remarks on Buddhism May 28, 2023
- Veteran Diplomat Jayantha Dhanapala passes away May 27, 2023
- Sri Lanka President instructs to install high-tech scanners at BIA VIP terminal May 27, 2023
- Sri Lanka to commence Cannabis cultivation project May 26, 2023
- Dr. Shafi Shihabdeen reassigned to Kurunegala Hospital May 26, 2023
Dear Honorable Peoples President, GOD BLESS YOU
HE President Rajapaksha!
It is quite fitting to see a Southern Leader taking such devotion & interest in politics of Sri lanka.
Many are proud of your achievments & looking forward to much more work that has to be done for Sri Lanka to find its unique place in the world.
My wishes for many more years & May the Noble Triple Gems Guard you & protect you now & always…Budhu Saranayi…..