President continues to keep PM without removing him: MR
Former President and MP Mahinda Rajapaksa today said it was none other than President Maithripala Sirisena who keeps Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe in his post without ousting him.
The former president said this in response to a question asked by a journalist when he was leaving Parliament.
When asked his opinion about President Sirisena seeking Attorney General’s opinion on the legality of removing the Premier, Mr. Rajapaksa said “Why seek AG’s consultations? Shouldn’t forget that the President is the Executive,”
When asked whether it was President Sirisena who continues to protect the Premier, he said “Definitely, who else?”
“We said we will back the SLFP, if it appoints a Prime Minister among them. We won’t back a PM who is a UNPer. It seems the current Prime Minister will continues to function based on the agreement between the UNP and the President,” he said.
Meanwhile, he said the Joint Opposition has asked for the post of the Opposition Leader in Parliament.
“We hope we will be given the place we deserve, the Opposition in Parliament,” he said.
(Source: Daily Mirror)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka Customs seizes Drugs worth over Rs. 60 Million December 7, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Dengue cases increased to 78,322 December 7, 2023
- Three Sri Lankans, including Ranish Hewage serving in the Ukraine Army killed in Russian attack December 7, 2023
- DIG Nalaka de Silva released from case over alleged VIP assassination plot December 6, 2023
- Pressure grows on UK over British Museum treasures as Netherlands returns major colonial artefacts December 6, 2023