President orders election candidates not to use his photographs
President Gotabaya Rajapaksa has ordered not to use his photographs and portraits for the election campaign activities of candidates contesting the upcoming parliamentary polls.
He has also advises that public servants employed in security services, public services, corporations and statutory bodies should refrain from engaging in political activities.
The Secretary to the President, P.B. Jayasundara, has written to all governors, ministerial secretaries, district and divisional secretaries, heads of corporations, boards and statutory bodies stating that information has been received that candidates contesting the coming election are using the President’s photograph in their propaganda campaign, that military personnel and state officials are also being used and that various appointment are being given.
The President has instructed his Secretary to strongly advise against such instances and to ensure that public servants follow this instruction.
(Source: Ada Derana)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- 40 Government hospitals in Sri Lanka closed and another 100 about to close November 28, 2023
- October sees 20% decline in apparel exports from Sri Lanka November 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka approves Sinopec’s $4.5 billion refinery proposal November 28, 2023
- Tamil Nadu government failed to understand the problem in Sri Lanka: Murali November 27, 2023
- Harin appointed Sports Minister, Pavithra appointed Irrigation Minister November 27, 2023