President Rajapaksa arrives in UAE to attend 7th World Future Energy Summit
– by Janaka Alahapperuma –
Sri Lanka President Mahinda Rajapaksa arrived in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) to attend the official opening ceremony of the 7th edition of the World Future Energy Summit (WFES) at the Abu Dhabi National Exhibition Centre (Adnec), as part of Abu Dhabi Sustainability Week.
The President who left the island today (20 January) on a one-day official visit for UAE reached Abu Dhabi, the capital City of the Arabian nation. Chairman of Department of Municipal Council Affairs Majid Ali Al Mansouri and Sri Lankan Ambassador in the UAE Dr. Mahinda Balasuriya warmly welcomed the President at the Abu Dhabi International airport. President Rajapaksa is scheduled to take part in the World Future Energy Summit and the Zayed Future Energy Awards Ceremony this evening.
In addition the President will also hold bilateral discussions with top government officials of UAE and meet with the Sri Lankan community living in the Emirate.
According to the Prize website, the annual award celebrates achievements that reflect impact, innovation, long-term vision and leadership in renewable energy and sustainability.
Among the finalists for this year’s award include multinational companies such as General Electric and Wal-Mart, among others.
Minister of External Affairs Prof. G.L. Peiris and Monitoring MP of the Ministry of External Affairs Sajin Vass Gunawardena are a part of the Sri Lankan delegation.
Photos by: Sudath Silva
- Five-year-old child found dead with cut injuries from a construction site in Mulleriyawa June 9, 2023
- It is imperative to equip our armed forces with state-of-the-art technologies and capabilities – Defence State Minister June 9, 2023
- ADB provides Sri Lanka access to concessional financing June 9, 2023
- Over 20 injured in bus lorry collision at Hanwella June 9, 2023
- Sri Lanka signs agreement with RM Parks Inc to ensure uninterrupted fuel supply June 8, 2023