President Rajapaksa Congratulates New Maldivian President
President Mahinda Rajapaksa, in a message sent this week, has congratulated the new Maldivian President Abdulla Yameen Abdul Gayoom.
“This victory bears testimony to the confidence that the people of the Maldives place in your policies and your leadership,” President Rajapaksa wrote.
Diplomatic relations between Sri Lanka and the Maldives date back as far as the 1960s. Since then, the two countries have maintained close ties.
“The relations between Sri Lanka and the Maldives are characterized by a long tradition of friendship, close cooperation and mutual respect,” President Rajapaksa said. “Maldives’ steadfast solidarity and support extended to Sri Lanka in international fora has further strengthened the close relations that exist between our two countries.”
Sri Lanka and the Maldives also share strong trade relations. A significant part of Maldives’ exports and imports are with Sri Lanka, in particular the export of Maldives fish and the import of rice.
President Yameen, who became the victor in the run-off presidential election this month, is the half brother of former President Maumoon Abdul Gayoom.
(Courtesy: President Media)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Official Creditor Committee confirms debt treatment deal with Sri Lanka November 29, 2023
- Sri Lanka President appoints Deshabandu Tennakoon as acting IGP November 29, 2023
- Creditor nations likely to agree on Sri Lanka debt restructuring – report November 29, 2023
- Netherlands returns six looted colonial-era artefacts to Sri Lanka November 29, 2023
- Sri Lanka needs $100 billion to become net zero emitter by 2040, president says November 29, 2023