President Rajapaksa Inspects CHOGM Preparations at Nelum Pokuna Theatre
President Mahinda Rajapaksa visited the Nelum Pokuna (Lotus Pond) Mahinda Rajapaksa Theatre yesterday (Nov. 01) to assess the preparations being made for the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM) 2013 that will take place in Colombo later this month.
The Nelum Pokuna Theatre will be the venue for the Summit’s opening ceremony for which delegates from 53 countries will participate including The Prince of Wales, Commonwealth heads-of-state, and other local and foreign invitees. The opening ceremony of CHOGM 2013 will take place Nov. 15.
President Rajapaksa inspected the entire venue at which most of the preparations are now nearing completion. Additionally, the President was also briefed of the arrangements for the actual opening ceremony, which is scheduled to last approximately one hour.
(Courtesy: Sri Lanka Government Spokesperson for CHOGM 2013)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka pays off $200 million loan from Bangladesh with $4.5 million interest September 24, 2023
- Bar Association of Sri Lanka demands withdrawal of Anti-Terrorism and Online Safety Bills September 24, 2023
- Malaysian Police tracking down two Sri Lankan triple murder suspects September 23, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Agriculture Minister explores opportunities to export eggs and chicken September 23, 2023
- Stability should not come at the sacrifice of values of freedom of expression: U.S. Ambassador September 23, 2023