President revokes suspension of Brigadier Priyanka Fernando
President Maithripala Sirisena has revoked the suspension of Brigadier Priyanka Fernando from duties as the Minister Counsellor (Defence) attached to the Sri Lanka High Commission in London, Army Commander Lieutenant General Mahesh Senanayake said.
He stated that the Sri Lanka Army (SLA) has sent a letter to the Brigadier seeking justification for his actions during the incident.
The incident occurred during a protest held by a group of Tamil youths outside the High Commission in London on the Sri Lanka’s Independence Day.
The protesters demanded information on the missing persons, to release all political prisoners and to close down torture camps.
A video showed Minister Counsellor (Defence) Brigadier Priyankara Fernando, who came out from the High Commission office, making a slitting the throat gesture towards the protesters.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Keheliya Rambukwella further remanded until March 14, 2024 February 29, 2024
- Supreme Court invalidates Cabinet decision granting Paget road residence to Maithripala Sirisena February 29, 2024
- Nagananda Kodituwakku barred from practicing as Attorney-at-Law February 29, 2024
- Sri Lanka President highlights country’s Indian ocean security commitment at Pathfinder Conference February 29, 2024
- 36 persons injured in a bus accident in Monaragala February 29, 2024