Prime Minister Modi has confirmed his visit: Sri Lanka Minister of Justice
Prime Minister Narendra Modi will visit Sri Lanka next month to take part in the celebrations marking the UN ‘Vesak Day’, the most important in the Buddhist calendar, a senior Lankan minister said on Wednesday.
Prime Minister Modi will make his second visit to Sri Lanka in the second week of May, Minister of Justice Wijeyadasa Rajapakshe said here.
During his visit, he will take part in the UN ‘Vesak Day’ celebrations to be held here from May 12 to 14. “The Indian Prime Minister has confirmed his visit,” Rajapakshe told reporters.
Modi had also visited the country in 2015. The ‘International Day of Vesak’ will be hosted by the Buddhist-majority country and the commemorations here will include an International Buddhist Conference in which over 400 delegates from more than 100 countries will participate.
Vesak is the most important day in the Buddhist calendar. It commemorates Lord Buddha’s birth, enlightenment and passing away.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka to launch campaigns to attract 1.5 million tourists – proposal to create non-sleeping cities September 28, 2023
- Danushka Gunathilaka found not guilty of sexual intercourse without consent September 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Ministry of Defence announces updates to licensing conditions for private security agencies September 27, 2023
- Despite signs of stabilization, full economic recovery not yet assured – IMF Mission September 27, 2023
- Sri Lankan President leaves for Germany September 27, 2023