Prime Minister’s Vesak Message
The thrice blessed day of Wesak dawns with spiritual significance for all Buddhists; in observing Wesak, we find the time to engage in activities of piety and sharing of alms with those in need.
Sri Lanka has been a country, home to the tenants of Theravada Buddhism for centuries; for us, it is indeed a blessed occasion to be able to host two significant events in the international Buddhist calendar. The 14th United Nations International Wesak celebrations and the Global Buddhist Forum are due to be held in Sri Lanka to coincide with the sacred period of Wesak.
The precepts of Buddhism based on the concept of universal compassion (maithri), should inspire us to include its philosophical application in everyday living, while also reviewing new ways of sharing it with a hurting world. This would indeed be one key opportunity presented to us during the International Wesak Celebrations.
May all being be happy and content as we come together to commemorate the blessed Day of Wesak.
- Corporal’s bravery in Ududumbara commended by the Sri Lanka Army Commander June 3, 2023
- Price of Litro gas to be reduced by Rs. 350? June 3, 2023
- Sri Lanka Government to relax import restrictions on nearly 400 items June 2, 2023
- Reform momentum must continue despite tentative signs of improvement in Sri Lanka Economy – IMF June 2, 2023
- Government’s objective is to develop Sri Lanka as a thriving nation by 2048 June 2, 2023
- Sri Lankan Rupee appreciates against U.S. Dollar June 1, 2023
- Professionals belonging to 14 categories required to register with Inland Revenue Department from June 01 June 1, 2023