Prison raids yield more than 1,000 phones
More than 1,000 mobile phones, 1,310 batteries and 688 SIM cards were seized from inmates during search operations at several prisons yesterday, a senior prisons official said.
The biggest haul was from the Negombo prison where the officers and jailers found 277 phones, 132 SIM cards and 286 batteries.
At the Welikada remand prison, 203 phones and 144 SIM cards were recovered, while 199 phones and 144 SIM cards were found at the Welikada Prison. At the Magazine prison, 133 phones and 108 SIM cards were found.
(Source: The Sunday Times)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Creditor nations likely to agree on Sri Lanka debt restructuring – report November 29, 2023
- Netherlands returns six looted colonial-era artefacts to Sri Lanka November 29, 2023
- Sri Lanka needs $100 billion to become net zero emitter by 2040, president says November 29, 2023
- 40 Government hospitals in Sri Lanka closed and another 100 about to close November 28, 2023
- October sees 20% decline in apparel exports from Sri Lanka November 28, 2023