Prisoners’ data to be computerised
The Ministry of Prison Reforms and Rehabilitation has taken steps to introduce a computerized data system for all the prison inmates islandwide, an official from the ministry said.
“The data system will include all the information about the prisoners, such as personal information, special skills, the type of offence and health records,” Secretary to the ministry, A. Dissanayaka said. At present, only written records about the inmates were maintained, except in the Welikada Prison complex.
“The composition of the data system will commence next month and it is expected to be completed within three months,” Dissanayaka said.
The ministry has also taken steps to computerize data on prison officials and they would also be given a special training to maintain the data system. According to Dissanayaka, the data system will also help improve the special skills of inmates and provide vocational training to them. The funds for this project would be provided by the United Nations Development Programme.
Dissanayaka said that the ministry was planning to open a complex of prison quarters at the Watareka Prison on August 4. Under this programme sixteen houses would be handed over to the prison officials, he said.
Courtesy: The Island
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka introduces insurance scheme for Animals October 1, 2023
- Niluka Karunaratne announces retirement October 1, 2023
- Sri Lanka begins system to issue e-bills for water October 1, 2023
- Person arrested over shooting of elephant “Sita” granted bail September 30, 2023
- International Commission of Jurists says Online Safety Bill is an assault on freedoms September 30, 2023