Prof J.B’s “Handbook of Simple Tamil” presented to President Rajapaksa
Onlanka News – By Janaka Alahapperuma
(Pix by: Nalin Hewapathirana)
The first copy of the “Handbook of Simple Tamil” by Prof. J B Dissanayake being presented by the author to President Mahinda Rajapaksa on Wednesday 8th September at Temple Trees.
Deshamanya Jayantha Banda Dissanayake (73) is an emeritus Professor and one of the leading authorities of the Sinhala language in Sri Lanka. Former Professor and the Head of the Department of Sinhala at the University of Colombo, with a long teaching career of over 40 years as a lecturer, he is the author of numerous books on linguistics, culture and history. He is currently Sri Lanka Ambassador to Thailand.
Prof J.B’s new book is intended to promote the Tamil language proficiency among the Sinhalese public. Lalith Weeratunga, Secretary to the President, Mrs Kusum Dissanayake and Samitha Dissanayake were also present at the occasion.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka Navy seizes Kerala cannabis worth over Rs. 33 million in Karainagar September 29, 2023
- Some Sri Lanka creditors seeking debt restructuring deal without China September 29, 2023
- SriLankan Airlines partners with Virgin Australia September 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka to launch campaigns to attract 1.5 million tourists – proposal to create non-sleeping cities September 28, 2023
- Danushka Gunathilaka found not guilty of sexual intercourse without consent September 28, 2023