Professor Manjula Fernando appointed PUCSL Chairman
Professor Manjula Fernando has been appointed as the Chairman of the Public Utilities Commission of Sri Lanka (PUCSL).
Professor Fernando assumed duties as the PUCSL Chairman today (June 23) after the appointment was approved by the Constitutional Council.
The new PUCSL Chairman was appointed after Janaka Ratnayake was sacked from the post in May, 2023 following a lengthy dispute with the government over several issues including the electricity tariff hike and the duration of power cuts.
Members of Sri Lanka Parliament on May 24, 2023 passed a motion seeking the removal of Janaka Ratnayake from his position as the PUCSL Chairman by a majority of 43 votes.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka President address at the UNGA highlighting Sri Lanka’s journey to rebuild trust and global solidarity September 22, 2023
- Hearing of Danushka Gunathilaka’s case concludes, verdict to be delivered next week September 21, 2023
- IMF chief Kristalina and Sri Lanka President Ranil discuss ongoing reforms and debt restructuring efforts September 21, 2023
- Two killed, two injured in shooting at Avissawella September 21, 2023
- Batticaloa Campus returned to Hizbullah September 20, 2023