Raids on illegal drugs to be strengthened in 2021: Defence Secretary
Operations to curb illegal drug ring in the island would be further strengthened during next year (2021), Defence Secretary Major General (Retd) Kamal Gunaratne said yesterday.
“Nabbing of many drug-dealing incidents was effective following tipped-off by the general public and the recent drop of drug availability in the country has also resulted in notable price hikes”, he said.
“All the operations led to combat underworld and illegal drug dealings are still functioning in the same vein”, he told media citing the recent seizure of Rs. 59 million worth illegitimately earned money over a drug ring.
He said maximum legal action would be taken against those involved in underworld activities.
- Corporal’s bravery in Ududumbara commended by the Sri Lanka Army Commander June 3, 2023
- Price of Litro gas to be reduced by Rs. 350? June 3, 2023
- Sri Lanka Government to relax import restrictions on nearly 400 items June 2, 2023
- Reform momentum must continue despite tentative signs of improvement in Sri Lanka Economy – IMF June 2, 2023
- Government’s objective is to develop Sri Lanka as a thriving nation by 2048 June 2, 2023
- Sri Lankan Rupee appreciates against U.S. Dollar June 1, 2023
- Professionals belonging to 14 categories required to register with Inland Revenue Department from June 01 June 1, 2023