Rajitha urges Government to use Nelum Pokuna for COVD-19 treatment
Former Health Minister and SJB MP Rajitha Senaratne yesterday called on the Government to utilise the Nelum Pokuna Theatre as a COVID-19 treatment centre.
Speaking in Parliament yesterday, Senaratne pointed out that it was unsafe to admit COVID-19 patients in hospitals with tertiary care services, as it could result in the spread of the virus and look into alternative places to house COVID infected patients.
“We urge the Government to use Nelum Pokuna as a COVID treatment centre. It could be turned into a treatment centre by arranging beds in its ample space which is not being used right now,” he said.
Senaratne further suggested that Millennium Ward Complex at the Colombo South Teaching Hospital and the Polonnaruwa Renal Treatment Hospital could also be used as COVID treatment centres.
He also urged the Government to heed to health authorities and go for a lockdown to contain the spread of the virus.
(Source: Daily FT)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- IMF Team to conduct second review of Sri Lanka’s EFF program in March 2024 February 28, 2024
- Sri Lanka’s education ministry halts outdoor school activities due to heat February 28, 2024
- Santhan, released convict in Rajiv Gandhi assassination case, dies due to illness February 28, 2024
- Suspect wanted over Mahabage shooting killed in clash with STF February 28, 2024
- Ronnie de Mel passes away February 27, 2024