Ranil calls for 5,000 COVID-19 tests per day
UNP leader Ranil Wickremesinghe said, in Kandy, on Sunday (12) that testing for Covid-19 had to be increased to at least 5,000 a day in view of the current situation in the country.
Speaking at a UNP meeting at the Kandy Municipal Council children’s library, the UNP. leader said that the government should have a discussion with the Election Commission on the August 05 general election, taking into consideration the present COVID 19 situation.
Wickremesinghe said that the government should seek advice from the World Health Organisation (WHO), but it should not take any advice from the Colombo office of the WHO.
Former Prime Minister Wickremesinghe said the government should tell the truth about the country’s economic and the current COVID-19 situation. The government had made false statements about both issues. The country’s biggest problem today was the COVID-19 pandemic.
(Source: The Island – By Cyril Wimalasurendre)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Permission not given to Chinese ship to dock, India’s concerns important: Sabry September 26, 2023
- Sri Lanka squad named for ICC Cricket World Cup 2023 September 26, 2023
- S&P raises Sri Lanka local currency ratings to ‘CCC+/C’, says outlook stable September 26, 2023
- Sri Lanka President expresses dissatisfaction with country’s current education system September 26, 2023
- Chinese model breaks U.S. hegemony: former Sri Lankan diplomat September 26, 2023