Rathupaswela shooting: Brigadier Aruna Deshapriya, Sergeant released on bail
Sri Lanka Army Brigadier Aruna Deshapriya Gunawardena and the Staff Sergeant Sirisena who were alleged to have given orders to shoot the Rathupaswela protestors were released on bail by the Gampaha High Court today.
Three persons were killed after the Sri Lanka Army was deployed to disperse a protest against a factory in Rathupaswala on August 1, 2013.
The protesters demanding authorities to take prompt action to relocate the factory which has contaminated drinking water in the area with chemicals disposed by the factory.
(Source: Daily News)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Countrywide power outage in Sri Lanka due to a system failure December 9, 2023
- Sri Lanka to implement another electricity tariff revision in January 2024 December 9, 2023
- ‘Kush’ worth Rs. 100 Million seized in luggage left behind at Bandaranaike International Airport December 9, 2023
- Air Arabia launches direct flights to Sri Lanka from Abu Dhabi December 9, 2023
- Sri Lanka Navy promotes 1,877 personnel on its 73rd anniversary December 9, 2023