Road to be named after Field Marshal Sarath Fonseka
The road linking Ananda Mawatha and Ketawalamulla Road in Colombo 10 is to be named after Field Marshal Sarath Fonseka today by the Colombo Municipal Council (CMC) in recognition of his dedicated service for the protection of the country’s sovereignty and territorial integrity.
The CMC took this initiative on the instructions of President Maithripala Sirisena. The President had instructed the CMC to name a road after Field Marshal Sarath Fonseka who dedicated his entire career for the protection of the country, risking his own life.
Public Administration and Local Government Minister Karu Jayasuriya and Colombo Mayor A.J.M. Muzammil will attend today’s ceremony. Families who were living in unauthorized structures by the side of this road hindering the smooth flow of traffic have been relocated. These families were granted new houses at Grandpass.
(Government News Portal)
- MP Gajendrakumar Ponnambalam arrested in Colombo June 7, 2023
- Yohani de Silva gets ‘Golden Visa’ from Dubai June 7, 2023
- Sri Lanka-born woman in UK becomes youngest ever non-white Crown Court judge June 7, 2023
- Sri Lanka appointed Special parliamentary committee to probe New Diamond, X-Press Pearl disasters June 6, 2023
- Cabinet approves proposal to reduce Maximum Retail Prices of 60 types of medicine June 6, 2023
- Two officers of Agrarian Service Centre arrested for soliciting a bribe June 6, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s LGBTQ+ community holds Pride march, demands end to discrimination June 5, 2023
Well done, Field Marshall, now you have your own road. That is a great achievement and a recognition of your contribution to SL society.
As the Colombo Municipal Council will soon run out of roads to commemorate heroes, the CMC should begin naming public toilets with hero’s names. A name like “Muzzamil Public Toilet” in the middle of Maradana will attract many users who will be reminded of the yeoman services rendered by the bearer of the toilet’s name.