Road to be named after Field Marshal Sarath Fonseka
The road linking Ananda Mawatha and Ketawalamulla Road in Colombo 10 is to be named after Field Marshal Sarath Fonseka today by the Colombo Municipal Council (CMC) in recognition of his dedicated service for the protection of the country’s sovereignty and territorial integrity.
The CMC took this initiative on the instructions of President Maithripala Sirisena. The President had instructed the CMC to name a road after Field Marshal Sarath Fonseka who dedicated his entire career for the protection of the country, risking his own life.
Public Administration and Local Government Minister Karu Jayasuriya and Colombo Mayor A.J.M. Muzammil will attend today’s ceremony. Families who were living in unauthorized structures by the side of this road hindering the smooth flow of traffic have been relocated. These families were granted new houses at Grandpass.
(Government News Portal)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka President says 42 new laws enacted for economic transformation, 62 laws due for enactment March 5, 2024
- Sri Lanka revises fuel prices from March 05, 2024 March 4, 2024
- Electricity tariff to be reduced by 21.9% from midnight today March 4, 2024
- Court extends enjoining order safeguarding Sarath Fonseka’s positions in SJB until March 19, 2024 March 4, 2024
- Two former Sri Lankan police officers sentenced to death over custodial death March 4, 2024