Rs. 1000 spot fine for violation of seatbelt rule
Cabinet decides to revise the Motor Traffic Act to impose a spot fine of Rs. 1000 for violation of the seatbelt rule, Acting Media Minister Lakshman Yapa Abeywardena said today.
President earlier instructed the Inspector General of Police (IGP) to amend the regulation, so motorists can pay the fines through receipts instead of having to directly appearing before court.
Hence on a proposal made by Mr. Kumara Welgama, Minister of Transport, cabinet gave its approval to amend Section 157 A( 4) of the Motor Traffic Act, to enable spot fines to be ‘imposed in similar manner, against drivers and passengers traveling in the front seat of vehicles who contravene the seat belt Regulation
Courtesy: Ada Derana
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- CEYPETCO increases fuel prices October 1, 2023
- Sinopec increases fuel prices in Sri Lanka October 1, 2023
- Sri Lanka introduces insurance scheme for Animals October 1, 2023
- Niluka Karunaratne announces retirement October 1, 2023
- Sri Lanka begins system to issue e-bills for water October 1, 2023