Sajith, Ravi clash over southern candidates
UNP MPs Sajith Premadasa and Ravi Karunanayake were locked in an angry exchange of words at yesterday’s meeting of the party’s nomination board for the local polls.
The war of words erupted when the board chaired by UNP leader Ranil Wickremesinghe was discussing the list of candidates for the Tissamaharama and Beliatte areas. Others present at the meeting in Siri Kotha were deputy leader Karu Jayasuriya, D.M. Swaminathan, Daya Pelpola.
At first there had been a tussle between Dileep Vedaratchchi, a Premadasa loyalist, and Azmi Thassim, a supporter of Ravi Karunanayake. Both Mr. Premadasa and Mr. Karunanayake had intervened to defend the positions taken up by their respective backers.
Strong words, some unprintable, were used by the Hambantota and Colombo District parliamentarians. It was later brought under control by leader Mr. Wickremesinghe.
Source: ST Online
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka to launch campaigns to attract 1.5 million tourists – proposal to create non-sleeping cities September 28, 2023
- Danushka Gunathilaka found not guilty of sexual intercourse without consent September 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Ministry of Defence announces updates to licensing conditions for private security agencies September 27, 2023
- Despite signs of stabilization, full economic recovery not yet assured – IMF Mission September 27, 2023
- Sri Lankan President leaves for Germany September 27, 2023