Sajith’s temple donations under police probe

Opposition Leader and UNP Deputy Leader Sajith Premadasa, who held the Cultural Affairs portfolio under the previous government, is likely to face a police investigation into disbursement of large amount of funds.
The matter came up for discussion at a top-level meeting where Central Cultural Fund disbursements were discussed. Earlier, it was the subject of study by an official committee.
A government source said the enormity of the funds utilised had prompted a thorough investigation. This is particularly in respect of donations made to temples. They ranged from just Rs. 10 million to Rs 80 million. In some instances, the temples had been paid a part payment with a letter that the balance would be met after the presidential election, the source said.
The source added that a list of financial commitments, both made as well as assured, was now being compiled.
(Source: The Sunday Times)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Litro to import over 10,000 MT of Gas – 100,000 cylinders released daily to ease shortage February 22, 2026
- Nearly 9,000 fined for not wearing seat belts on Sri Lanka expressways February 21, 2026
- Gunman in Akuregoda double murder arrested February 21, 2026
- Sri Lanka President meets Modi, world leaders at AI Summit and concludes visit February 21, 2026
- Sri Lanka joins Russia in Defender of the Fatherland Day event February 21, 2026


The Temples shoul sue Jalani (the so-called 1st Lady), Dhulanjhali (the gold smuggler, also sistser to the so-called 1st Citizen) and Hon SP, MP and leader of the Opposition, for the promised money.
The Late President RP had accumulated more than adequate wealth through corrupt means to fund the temples.