Salman Khurshid says India working for welfare of Lankan Tamils
Foreign minister Salman Khurshid linked India’s engagement with Sri Lanka with the humanitarian and development work India was doing for Tamils in the Northern Province, rebuffing reservations expressed by Dravidian outfits about the bilateral talks that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh is to have with Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa on Tuesday.
Khurshid said India was constructing homes, schools and hospitals in Northern Province and he was sure that Tamils wanted the development work. “The fact is we engage for the welfare of Tamils … Ask them how they feel about the welfare work,” he told reporters.
The foreign minister said India was pushing Lanka on the Lessons Learnt and Reconciliation Commission (LLRC) and the 13th amendment which he added had been kept intact because of India’s advocacy.
Khurshid’s upfront backing for Singh’s talks with Rajapaksa by linking them to the interests of the Tamils across the straits marks a strong counter offensive to DMK and AIADMK. The Dravidian parties have objected to Singh holding talks with Rajapaksa. (India Times)
- Nathasha Edirisooriya arrested over remarks on Buddhism May 28, 2023
- Veteran Diplomat Jayantha Dhanapala passes away May 27, 2023
- Sri Lanka President instructs to install high-tech scanners at BIA VIP terminal May 27, 2023
- Sri Lanka to commence Cannabis cultivation project May 26, 2023
- Dr. Shafi Shihabdeen reassigned to Kurunegala Hospital May 26, 2023
- Dasun Shanaka hasn’t lived up to even 1% of expectations in IPL – Virender Sehwag May 26, 2023
- Sri Lankan Rupee appreciates against U.S. Dollar May 26, 2023
The cat is out of the bag. So, India is working with Sri Lanka for the betterment of Sri Lanka’s Tamil speaking citizens and not for the betterment of the Sri Lankan Citizens.
Under a similar arguement, India, once worked for the betterment of the Tamil speaking Sri Lankan citizens by providing arms and training to the LTTE.
Mr Khurshid, its time you and your party to be stood aside for the betterment of the World.