Samantha Vidyarathna, Namal Karunaratne arrested
Five including Namal Karunaratne and Samantha Vidyarathna were arrested for organising a protest over the fertiliser crisis, in violation of quarantine laws.
Police Spokesman SDIG Ajith Rohana said that they had surrendered to the Bogahakumbura Police this morning (July 07).
They were later arrested and to be produced in the Welimada Magistrate’s Court.
Reportedly, the former JVP Provincial Councillor Samantha Vidyarathna and the national organiser of All Ceylon Farmers’ Federation Namal Karunaratne and the other arrestees have taken part in a protest on the 1st of July at Boralanda, in violation of the quarantine regulations.
UPDATE (02:20 PM): Five persons including Namal Karunaratne and Samantha Vidyarathna were granted bail on a personal bail of Rs. 100,000/- each by the court.
- Sri Lanka Government to relax import restrictions on nearly 400 items June 2, 2023
- Reform momentum must continue despite tentative signs of improvement in Sri Lanka Economy – IMF June 2, 2023
- Government’s objective is to develop Sri Lanka as a thriving nation by 2048 June 2, 2023
- Sri Lankan Rupee appreciates against U.S. Dollar June 1, 2023
- Professionals belonging to 14 categories required to register with Inland Revenue Department from June 01 June 1, 2023
- Bruno Divakara remanded until June 07 June 1, 2023
- Over 9,000 dengue cases reported in Sri Lanka in May, 2023 June 1, 2023