Sangakkara named selector in Sri Lanka shake-up
Kumar Sangakkara has been included on a new Sri Lanka selection committee chaired by Aravinda de Silva.
Sri Lanka failed to reach the Asia Cup final in Bangladesh last week after losing three of their four matches in the tournament on the back of a Twenty20 series defeat to India.
They also endured a miserable tour of New Zealand in all formats and Sri Lanka Cricket have opted for a shake-up the week before the team start the defence of their World Twenty20 title.
Sri Lanka legend Sangakkara, who ended his illustrious international career last year, has been named as a selector along with fellow former internationals Romesh Kaluwitharana, Ranjith Madurasinghe and Lalith Kaluperuma.
Former Sri Lanka captain De Silva takes up the role of chairman of selectors for a second time.
A Sri Lanka Cricket statement said: “Honorable Dayasiri Jayasekara Minister of Sports has appointed a new National Cricket Selection Committee with immediate effect.
“The appointment of the National Selection Committee was carried out by the Honorable Minister citing recent failures encountered by the National Team in their Tours to New Zealand, India, Asia Cup in Bangladesh and the inconsistency of selection criteria.”
(Source: OMNI Sport)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka’s Agriculture Minister explores opportunities to export eggs and chicken September 23, 2023
- Stability should not come at the sacrifice of values of freedom of expression: U.S. Ambassador September 23, 2023
- Sri Lanka imports test kits to detect Nipah virus September 22, 2023
- Import tax on powdered milk increased September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President’s robust economic development program leads to 62.1% drop in inflation – Minister September 22, 2023