Six dead, two missing in Ramboda landslide
Six persons died and two were reported missing following a landslide at Lily Estate, Ramboda yesterday evening. Several houses of estate workers were covered with earth following the landslide.
Police and residents launched a search operation to rescue the missing. Disaster Management Centre officials said relief workers found it difficult to reach the area due to the inclement weather.
A Geological Survey and Mines Bureau official said the bureau did not issue an alert as the area did not experience heavy showers. “We have sent a team of officials to inspect the area where the landslide had taken place,” he said.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lankan President calls for grass-root level national program to modernize agriculture March 3, 2024
- UN rights chief raises concerns over Sri Lanka’s proposed laws March 3, 2024
- Sri Lanka seeks five-month hold on bondholder suit March 3, 2024
- Ceylon Electricity Board (CEB) makes thumping Rs. 61.2 billion profits last year March 3, 2024
- Dr. Saman Ratnayake remanded until March 14, 2024 March 2, 2024