Six, including four Buddhist monks arrested during a protest near Kelaniya University
Six students of the University of Kelaniya including four Buddhist monks have been arrested during a protest held near the Kelaniya University at Dalugama, Kelaniya on Sunday night (February 19).
The Police Media Division said the group was apprehended for being part of an illegal assembly.
Police said a group of students commenced a protest march from the entrance of the Kelaniya University premises and proceeded along the Colombo-Kandy Road.
The Police said they had to fire tear gas and use water cannons to disperse the protestors who blocked the Kandy-Colombo Main Highway near the Kelaniya University.
The arrested monks aged between 23 and 26, are residing in temples in Kahathuduwa, Thummodara, Pitabeddara and Mirissa.
The other two students, aged 23, are residents of Anguruwatota and Kinniya.
“They would be charged for being members of an illegal assembly,” a Police Officer said.
The Kiribathgoda Police is conducting further investigations.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Permission not given to Chinese ship to dock, India’s concerns important: Sabry September 26, 2023
- Sri Lanka squad named for ICC Cricket World Cup 2023 September 26, 2023
- S&P raises Sri Lanka local currency ratings to ‘CCC+/C’, says outlook stable September 26, 2023
- Sri Lanka President expresses dissatisfaction with country’s current education system September 26, 2023
- Chinese model breaks U.S. hegemony: former Sri Lankan diplomat September 26, 2023