Six UPFA members pledge support to Maithripala
Six members of the ruling United People’s Freedom Alliance (UPFA), including 4 local government members and a former UC Chairman, today pledged to support Common Opposition Candidate Maithripala Sirisena at the Presidential Election.
UPFA Attanagalla Pradeshiya Sabha member Indika Rajapaksa, Meerigama Pradeshiya Sabha member Somaratna Diyanetti and Chilaw Urban Council member Jeevani Kariyawasam announced their decision at a press conference with former President Chandrika Bandaranaike Kumaratunga at her residence.
Speaking to reporters, they said that the decision to support the Common Candidate was taken due to the corruption within the government’s development process.
Meanwhile in a separate media briefing at Pitakotte, UPFA member of the Sri Jayawardenapura Kotte Municipal Council Ranjan Ponnamperuma, former Kandy Municipal Council member Athula Senarath and former Chairman of the Ja-Ela Urban Council Anju Perera said they also would support Maithripala at the upcoming polls.
They said that the current government is exceedingly corrupt and that the country should be taken into a future devoid of corruption and dishonesty with Maithripala Sirisena’s policies.
They further said that although development is not wrong, the benefits of it does not reach the people as it only goes to a certain group.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka’s Nadeesha Dilhani Lekamge wins Asian Games athletics medal after 17 years October 3, 2023
- World Bank boosts Sri Lanka economic forecasts after inflation progress October 3, 2023
- Sri Lanka President slams western media, says no to international probe October 3, 2023
- Sri Lanka Bondholder Lawsuit Should Be Put on Hold, U.S. Says October 3, 2023
- Sri Lanka to launch new vehicle revenue license system (eRL 2.0) on October 7 October 3, 2023