SJB suspends party membership of Harin Fernando & Manusha Nanayakkara
The Samagi Jana Balavegaya (SJB) has decided to suspend the party membership of Harin Fernando and Manusha Nanayakkara who accepted ministerial portfolios in the government today (May 20).
MPs Harin Fernando and Manusha Nanayakkara were sworn in as the Minister of Tourism & Lands and Minister of Labour & Foreign Employment, respectively.
SJB earlier said it would institute disciplinary action against its members who obtained ministerial positions in the government led by Prime Minister Ranil Wickrmesinghe.
SJB MP Lakshman Kiriella told Parliament that it is against the policy of the Samagi Jana Balavegaya and its alliance, to join with the government.
“We decided to engage with the government positively from the opposition, without joining the government,” the MP said today.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Asian Games 2023: India women bag Gold medal in cricket September 25, 2023
- Sachithra Senanayake granted bail September 25, 2023
- Wanindu Hasaranga likely to miss ICC World Cup due to hamstring injury – report September 25, 2023
- Sri Lanka receives USD 890,000 interim compensation for damages by X-Press Pearl September 24, 2023
- Sri Lanka pays off $200 million loan from Bangladesh with $4.5 million interest September 24, 2023