SLFP committee decides on MR for PM post
The six-member committee appointed by the Sri Lanka Freedom Party (SLFP) has unanimously decided to nominate former president Mahinda Rajapaksa as the party’s prime ministerial candidate no matter what President Maitripala Sirinsena’s views are on this matter, informed sources said.
SLFP Vice Chairman and Minister Rajitha Senaratne told the weekly Cabinet meeting that the president had categorically stated that Mr. Rajapaksa would not be nominated for the general elections.
However, the committee comprising Chief Opposition Whip John Seneviratne, MPs Kumara Welgama, T.B. Ekanayake, Susil Premajayantha, Dilan Perera and Anura Priyadarshana Yapa has decided otherwise and was expected to convey its position to the President yesterday.
Meanwhile, the other political parties promoting Mr. Rajapaksa’s candidacy for prime minister are said to be awaiting the stance of the President before deciding on the next step. The committee is expected to notify the President’s views on this matter.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka’s Dengue cases increased to 78,322 December 7, 2023
- DIG Nalaka de Silva released from case over alleged VIP assassination plot December 6, 2023
- Pressure grows on UK over British Museum treasures as Netherlands returns major colonial artefacts December 6, 2023
- Police officer takes his own life at Peliyagoda Interchange of Katunayake Expressway December 6, 2023
- Sagala asks officials about progress of Beira Lake Development Project December 6, 2023