SLFP to announce candidate on September 2
The Sri Lanka Freedom Party (SLFP) will announce its position of the Presidential candidate at the party’s anniversary convention scheduled on September 2, UPFA General Secretary MP Mahinda Amaraweera said.
Addressing a press conference at the SLFP Headquarters, Amaraweera however said he personally advocates for the abolition of the Executive Presidency.
He said he would meet the JVP this week to discuss about going ahead with the 20th Amendment to the Constitution.
“Abolishing the Executive Presidency is an overdue task. We still have time to do it. No party can object to it. If there is genuine interest, Parliament can even meet daily and accomplish this task prior to the elections. This is a golden opportunity to take a decision on behalf of the country,” he said.
“If the Executive Presidency is not abolished by September 2, the SLFP will announce its position on the Presidential Election during its anniversary convention at the Sugathadasa Indoor Stadium. The party’s future course of action will also be made known to the public on that day,” he added.
(Source: Daily News)
- Sri Lanka Government to relax import restrictions on nearly 400 items June 2, 2023
- Reform momentum must continue despite tentative signs of improvement in Sri Lanka Economy – IMF June 2, 2023
- Government’s objective is to develop Sri Lanka as a thriving nation by 2048 June 2, 2023
- Sri Lankan Rupee appreciates against U.S. Dollar June 1, 2023
- Professionals belonging to 14 categories required to register with Inland Revenue Department from June 01 June 1, 2023
- Bruno Divakara remanded until June 07 June 1, 2023
- Over 9,000 dengue cases reported in Sri Lanka in May, 2023 June 1, 2023
Good on you mahinda Amaraweera,
Unfortunately, no one will listen to your announcement.