SLFP to quit govt; SC opinion sought on new PM
The Sri Lanka Freedom Party (SLFP) has decided to leave the National Government, party spokesman MP Thilanga Sumathipala said.
Accordingly the President will seek the opinion of the Supreme Court on appointing a new Prime Minister, he said.
Senior members of the United Peoples Freedom Alliance (UPFA), including SLFP top brass, met with President Maithripala Sirisena at the official residence of the president, for another round of crucial talks on the unity government.
The proposal of the SLFP to remove Ranil Wickremesinghe form the premiership was also reportedly discussed during this meeting.
The objective of the meeting was to inform the President that the UPFA has a majority in Parliament.
It was also proposed to the President that a Prime Minister be appointed from the UPFA if UNP leader Ranil Wickremesinghe fails to resign from the post.
According to SLFP sources Minister Nimal Siripala de Silva is likely to be proposed for the position.
Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe and Speaker Karu Jayasuriya also held a special discussion with President Maithripala Sirisena at the President’s official residence this evening.
The position of the premiership has led to a split within the unity government following the recent election defeat with the UPFA pushing for Minister Nimal Siripala de Silva as the new PM and a section of the UNP calling for Wickremesinghe to remain as PM.
Another group of UNPers have proposed Karu Jayasuriya for the position of PM.
- Sri Lanka to initiate new online passport application system May 30, 2023
- India extends USD 1 Billion Credit Line for Sri Lanka until March 2024 May 30, 2023
- Cabinet approves resume of the Colombo Light Rail Transit project May 30, 2023
- Sri Lanka Government to implement strict law enforcement against religious disharmony May 30, 2023
- Food insecurity improved in Sri Lanka but prevails within specific regions – FAO and WFP May 29, 2023
- ADB approves $350 Million for Sri Lanka economic stabilization programme May 29, 2023
- Ven. Rajangane Saddharathana Thera arrested May 29, 2023
Cohabitation come to an end. Hope the new infamous New Constitution will be shelved.
That’s fantastic news.
Let the former kudu-mudalali’s sit in the parliament toilet.
What ever happens don’t have high hopes folks.