SLPP confident of a two-thirds majority – Prime Minister
Prime Minister Mahinda Rajapaksa expressed confidence that the Sri Lanka Podujana Peramuna (SLPP) will secure a two-thirds majority at the August 5 parliamentary election.
“Our convincing victory with an overwhelming majority has already been predicted by opinion polls conducted both in Sri Lanka and overseas”, he stressed.
The Opposition is spreading rumors to mislead the masses as it is well aware of the popular support for the SLPP, the Prime Minister told The Sunday Island.
The Opposition is living in a dream world if they think they can defeat us, he said, and added that the SLPP looks forward to a peaceful election.
Meanwhile, UNP leader, Ranil Wickremesinghe said last week that his party will stomp home in what he described as a “clear victory” at Wednesday’s parliamentary polls.
(Source: The Island – By Norman Palihawadana)
- Sri Lanka Government to go ahead with privatising SLT despite ‘NO’ from S.O.C. on National Security June 10, 2023
- Seven Police Narcotics Bureau officers arrested over death of vocational trainer in custody June 9, 2023
- Sectoral Oversight Committee on National Security recommends not to privatise Sri Lanka Telecom June 9, 2023
- Sarath Fonseka resigns from Sectoral Oversight Committee on National Security June 9, 2023
- Sri Lanka must protect the right to freedom of expression June 9, 2023
Will the 2/3rd majority bring affordable food to the table of > 90% of the population whose starvation levels have increased exponentially since Nov 2019?