SLPP confident of a two-thirds majority – Prime Minister
Prime Minister Mahinda Rajapaksa expressed confidence that the Sri Lanka Podujana Peramuna (SLPP) will secure a two-thirds majority at the August 5 parliamentary election.
“Our convincing victory with an overwhelming majority has already been predicted by opinion polls conducted both in Sri Lanka and overseas”, he stressed.
The Opposition is spreading rumors to mislead the masses as it is well aware of the popular support for the SLPP, the Prime Minister told The Sunday Island.
The Opposition is living in a dream world if they think they can defeat us, he said, and added that the SLPP looks forward to a peaceful election.
Meanwhile, UNP leader, Ranil Wickremesinghe said last week that his party will stomp home in what he described as a “clear victory” at Wednesday’s parliamentary polls.
(Source: The Island – By Norman Palihawadana)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- IMF Team to conduct second review of Sri Lanka’s EFF program in March 2024 February 28, 2024
- Sri Lanka’s education ministry halts outdoor school activities due to heat February 28, 2024
- Santhan, released convict in Rajiv Gandhi assassination case, dies due to illness February 28, 2024
- Suspect wanted over Mahabage shooting killed in clash with STF February 28, 2024
- Ronnie de Mel passes away February 27, 2024