Soldier on duty at Defence Ministry takes his own life
A 27-year-old army soldier on duty at the Ministry of Defence in Colombo Fort has reportedly committed suicide by shooting himself this morning.
Police Spokesman SP Ruwan Gunasekara said that a soldier who was on sentry duty at the ministry premises had taken his own life using his service firearm.
The incident had occurred at around 4.10 a.m. today (14), he was identified as a resident of Attanakadawala in Polonnaruwa.
He had served in the Engineers Regiment of the Army.
Police are further investigating the suicide.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka lacks commitment and discipline – Murali December 3, 2023
- Sri Lanka President Ranil Wickremesinghe meets Bill Gates December 3, 2023
- Indian envoy visits Sri Lanka’s north, underscores India’s commitment to country December 3, 2023
- Sri Lanka President at COP28 urges bold action in the face of alarming climate predictions December 2, 2023
- Diana Gamage, Sujith Perera and Rohana Bandara banned from Parliament December 2, 2023