Speaker of Sri Lanka Parliament tests positive for COVID-19
The Speaker of Sri Lanka Parliament Mahinda Yapa Abeywardena has tested positive for COVID-19.
The Speaker says that he had tested positive for the virus following a Rapid Antigen Test carried out due to showing symptoms such as a fever.
Speaker Mahinda Yapa Abeywardena stated that several employees at his official residence have also tested positive for coronavirus.
Sergeant-at-arms Narendra Fernando confirmed that there is a fresh cluster with Assistant Secretary General Kushani Rohanadeera testing positive a few days ago. He also confirmed that around six members of the staff attached to the catering department have also tested positive for COVID-19.
Meanwhile SLPP MP Akila Ellawala and SJB MP Kumara Welgama tested positive for COVID-19 yesterday thus increasing the number of MPS to be infected with the disease during this month to 11.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Asian Games 2023: India women bag Gold medal in cricket September 25, 2023
- Sachithra Senanayake granted bail September 25, 2023
- Wanindu Hasaranga likely to miss ICC World Cup due to hamstring injury – report September 25, 2023
- Sri Lanka receives USD 890,000 interim compensation for damages by X-Press Pearl September 24, 2023
- Sri Lanka pays off $200 million loan from Bangladesh with $4.5 million interest September 24, 2023