Sri Lanka Government decides to remove price control on rice
The Cabinet of Ministers have decided to remove the price control imposed on rice and import a buffer stock to prevent any possible shortage.
Accordingly, the Gazette notification issued imposing maximum wholesale and retail prices on rice will be cancelled.
The decision was taken during the Cabinet meeting held this evening (27).
Cabinet has also granted permission to import upto 100,000 metric tons of rice to maintain as a buffer stock.
Cabinet has also decided to provide required funds from the Central Bank to release the essential food items held up at the Colombo Port.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka pays off $200 million loan from Bangladesh with $4.5 million interest September 24, 2023
- Bar Association of Sri Lanka demands withdrawal of Anti-Terrorism and Online Safety Bills September 24, 2023
- Malaysian Police tracking down two Sri Lankan triple murder suspects September 23, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Agriculture Minister explores opportunities to export eggs and chicken September 23, 2023
- Stability should not come at the sacrifice of values of freedom of expression: U.S. Ambassador September 23, 2023