Sri Lanka great Kumar Sangakkara to play in Big Bash League for Hobart
Sri Lanka great Kumar Sangakkara has signed to play for the Hobart Hurricanes in the next two T20 Big Bash League seasons.
Regarded as one of the best batsmen of all time, Sangakkara retired from one-day international cricket after the recent World Cup, having played 404 ODIs for Sri Lanka.
He has indicated his intention to call time on his Test career by the end of August. To date he has represented his country 130 times in the long format of the game.
“Kumar’s signing is not only huge for the Hobart Hurricanes but for the Big Bash League overall,” Hurricanes Coach Damien Wright said.
“Kumar is not only an extremely talented batsman but also a leader which is also fantastic.”
Sangakkara will be making his first appearance in the BBL in its fifth season.
“The Big Bash League is a fun, exciting and family friendly league with a very high quality of cricket,” he said.
“There are so many great players involved and I am really looking forward to the challenge.”
- Sri Lankan Rupee appreciates against U.S. Dollar June 1, 2023
- Professionals belonging to 14 categories required to register with Inland Revenue Department from June 01 June 1, 2023
- Bruno Divakara remanded until June 07 June 1, 2023
- Over 9,000 dengue cases reported in Sri Lanka in May, 2023 June 1, 2023
- Sri Lanka unexpectedly cuts rates by 250 bps as inflation eases June 1, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s key inflation rate eases to 25.2% in May June 1, 2023
- Fuel prices revised in Sri Lanka May 31, 2023