Sri Lanka names Chandimal, Mathews, Dickwella for New Zealand test
Sri Lanka’s cricket selectors on Friday recalled former captain Dinesh Chandimal in a 15-man squad for the first test against New Zealand after he was dropped for two big series because of poor batting form.
The selectors announced that batsman Angelo Mathews, who missed the last test tour to South Africa, is also included in the squad. Niroshan Dickwella, a limited-overs specialist who was dropped for the World Cup because of poor form, was also selected for the longer format after a string of good scores for Sri Lanka A. He scored two centuries and a half-century on that tour.
There are nine specialist batsmen, three fast bowlers and three spin bowlers in Akila Dananjaya, Lakshan Sandakan and Lasith Embuldeniya.
The first test of the two-match series begins in Galle on Aug. 14.
Dimuth Karunaratne (captain), Angelo Mathews, Dinesh Chandimal, Lahiru Thirimanne, Kusal Mendis, Kusal Janith Perera, Niroshan Dickwella, Dhananjaya De Silva, Akila Dananjaya, Lasith Embuldeniya, Suranga Lakmal, Lahiru Kumara, Oshada Fernando, Lakshan Sandakan, Vishwa Fernando.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka’s Agriculture Minister explores opportunities to export eggs and chicken September 23, 2023
- Stability should not come at the sacrifice of values of freedom of expression: U.S. Ambassador September 23, 2023
- Sri Lanka imports test kits to detect Nipah virus September 22, 2023
- Import tax on powdered milk increased September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President’s robust economic development program leads to 62.1% drop in inflation – Minister September 22, 2023