Sri Lanka’s People’s Bank pays USD 6.9 Million to Chinese fertilizer company
The People’s Bank of Sri Lanka announced that a sum of USD 6.9 Million was paid to Qingdao Seawin Biotech Group Co., Ltd, on Friday (January 07) as per the Letter of Credit opened for the purchase of organic fertilizer.
The payment came after the Colombo Commercial High Court dissolved the enjoining order preventing the payment on Letter of Credit to China-based Qingdao Seawin Biotech Group Co., Ltd.
On January 03, the enjoining order in question was dismissed as all parties had agreed for a settlement to ship a new stock of standardized fertilizer.
The payment was made in order to settle the crisis that arose with the rejection of the organic fertilizer brought to Sri Lanka by the relevant ship, alleging that it did not meet the relevant standards of Sri Lanka.
The ship ‘Hippo Spirit’, which was carrying the consignment of organic fertilizer, was stranded in Sri Lankan waters for nearly 70 days before heading to Singapore to pursue an international settlement process.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka reports 80,222 dengue cases with 47 deaths December 11, 2023
- Sri Lanka Parliament decides to debate VAT (amendment) Bill today December 11, 2023
- ‘Unfair, Really Surprised’: Anjum Chopra on Chamari Athapaththu going unsold at WPL Auction December 11, 2023
- Sri Lankan migrant workers remit 5.4 Billion USD in first 11 months December 10, 2023
- Countrywide power outage in Sri Lanka due to a system failure December 9, 2023