Sri Lanka President grants approval to import chicken
Sri Lanka President Ranil Wickremesinghe has granted approval for importing chicken for food industrial purposes considering the increased demand in the country.
Speaking at a press briefing held in Colombo today (July 31), Minister of Trade Nalin Fernando expressed that the decision was reached during a special discussion chaired by the President regarding the cost of living.
According to the Minister, this decision was reached in order to reduce the suffering of the people due to the high prices of chicken in the market.
In addition, President Ranil Wickremesinghe has instructed the agricultural authorities to prepare a program to provide chicken and eggs at an affordable price to the people through increasing production in the future.
However, the President had also instructed them to take necessary measures to import parent birds in order to produce more chicks through breeder farms.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka’s Nadeesha Dilhani Lekamge wins Asian Games athletics medal after 17 years October 3, 2023
- World Bank boosts Sri Lanka economic forecasts after inflation progress October 3, 2023
- Sri Lanka President slams western media, says no to international probe October 3, 2023
- Sri Lanka Bondholder Lawsuit Should Be Put on Hold, U.S. Says October 3, 2023
- Sri Lanka to launch new vehicle revenue license system (eRL 2.0) on October 7 October 3, 2023