Sri Lanka suspends use of rice to make beer and feed animals
Sri Lanka decided to immediately suspend the use of rice for the production of animal feed and beer.
This decision has been taken to face the future food shortage due to the current dry weather. Paddy farmers are currently facing a severe crisis due to the dry weather.
If there is no significant rainfall in the coming days, there may be a shortage of rice, as the expected paddy harvest for the Yala Season cannot be reaped, the Ministry of Agriculture stated.
Accordingly, Sri Lanka’s Agriculture Minister Mahinda Amaraweera has given relevant instructions to the Ministry Secretary to suspend the use of rice for the beer production and feed for animals.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka President address at the UNGA highlighting Sri Lanka’s journey to rebuild trust and global solidarity September 22, 2023
- Hearing of Danushka Gunathilaka’s case concludes, verdict to be delivered next week September 21, 2023
- IMF chief Kristalina and Sri Lanka President Ranil discuss ongoing reforms and debt restructuring efforts September 21, 2023
- Two killed, two injured in shooting at Avissawella September 21, 2023
- Batticaloa Campus returned to Hizbullah September 20, 2023