Sri Lanka reports first case of new variant of COVID-19
An arrival from the United Kingdom has been infected with the new COVID-19 variant which is rapidly spreading in the UK and several other countries, The Chief Epidemiologist Dr. Sudath Samaraweera said.
He said the infected person might have arrived in the country a week or two ago.
Investigations in this regard are underway, he said.
The research was conducted by the Sri Jayewardenepura research team headed by Professor Nieelika Malavige.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka imports test kits to detect Nipah virus September 22, 2023
- Import tax on powdered milk increased September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President’s robust economic development program leads to 62.1% drop in inflation – Minister September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President address at the UNGA highlighting Sri Lanka’s journey to rebuild trust and global solidarity September 22, 2023
- Hearing of Danushka Gunathilaka’s case concludes, verdict to be delivered next week September 21, 2023