Sri Lanka rupee hits record low of 166.00 per dollar – sources
The Sri Lankan rupee fell 0.5 percent and hit an all-time low of 166.00 per dollar on Tuesday, weighed down by higher dollar demand from importers amid reluctant greenback sales by exporters, market sources said.
The local currency hit a fresh low for a fifth straight session on Tuesday. It closed at 165.00/30 per dollar on Monday.
The rupee weakened 2.4 percent this month, and 7.7 percent so far this year.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka introduces insurance scheme for Animals October 1, 2023
- Niluka Karunaratne announces retirement October 1, 2023
- Sri Lanka begins system to issue e-bills for water October 1, 2023
- Person arrested over shooting of elephant “Sita” granted bail September 30, 2023
- International Commission of Jurists says Online Safety Bill is an assault on freedoms September 30, 2023