Sri Lanka targets to reach mine-free status by 2020
Sri Lanka is making steady progress towards the goal of mine free status and remains hopeful of completing mine action by 2020, Sri Lanka’s Permanent Representative to the United Nations in Geneva Ambassador A.L.A. Azeez said.
Addressing the forum on ‘individualized approach’ on the sidelines of the Inter-sessional Meeting of the Anti-Personnel Mine Ban Convention on Friday in Geneva, Ambassador Azeez recounted how Sri Lanka achieved success in what was considered a perilous task in 2009.
Ambassador Azeez highlighted Sri Lanka’s engagement in demining activity as one which had its own complexity and uniqueness. The National Policy on Reconciliation and Co-existence, in place in Sri Lanka since 2017, both underpinned and nourished the ongoing programs of peace building and development in the country, he stressed. The Ambassador said the tremendous amount of demining work that was done on the ground, paving the way for the release of lands and resettlement of affected persons, makes the case of Sri Lanka distinct from other situations that experienced similar challenges.
He said the Government of Sri Lanka committed substantial funds to sustain the program throughout the years, with adequate provision of human resources as well, leading to the capacity building, predictability and sustainability of operation, and consolidation of the gains made. Ambassador Azeez said while Sri Lanka makes steady progress towards the goal of mine free status by 2020, the country would also be able to share its knowledge and expertise with others who are engaged in mine action program in different regions.
(Source: Daily News)
- Sri Lanka relaxes import restrictions on over 300 items June 10, 2023
- Sri Lanka Government to go ahead with privatising SLT despite ‘NO’ from S.O.C. on National Security June 10, 2023
- Seven Police Narcotics Bureau officers arrested over death of vocational trainer in custody June 9, 2023
- Sectoral Oversight Committee on National Security recommends not to privatise Sri Lanka Telecom June 9, 2023
- Sarath Fonseka resigns from Sectoral Oversight Committee on National Security June 9, 2023