Sri Lanka to implement death penalty on drug traffickers
The Cabinet of Ministers yesterday unanimously decided to carry out the death sentence on those who are convicted on drug charges, Buddhasasana Minister Gamini Jayawickrama Perera said. The Minister said further that President Maithripala Sirisena instructed Justice and Prison Reforms Minister Thalatha Athukorale to take all relevant measures in that regard.
Speaking to the Media at the Ministry of Buddhasasana, he said the decision of implementing the death sentence could have been carried out during the past fifteen years.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- SriLankan Airlines partners with Virgin Australia September 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka to launch campaigns to attract 1.5 million tourists – proposal to create non-sleeping cities September 28, 2023
- Danushka Gunathilaka found not guilty of sexual intercourse without consent September 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Ministry of Defence announces updates to licensing conditions for private security agencies September 27, 2023
- Despite signs of stabilization, full economic recovery not yet assured – IMF Mission September 27, 2023