Sri Lanka to import 6,000 Metric Tons of Basmati rice from Pakistan
Cabinet this week approved the State Trading Corporation (STC) and Cooperative Wholesale Establishment (CWE) to import 6,000 metric tons of Basmati rice annually under the provision of the Pakistan-Sri Lanka Free Trade Agreement (FTA).
Complaints have been received regarding various irregularities in the importation of rice, Cabinet Co-Spokesman Dr. Ramesh Pathirana said, pointing out that the same facility had been available to private sector. The decision by the Cabinet follows a proposal made by Trade Minister and will see STC and CWE import Basmati rice of high quality, he added.
“The idea is to import Basmati rice for those who seek it, thereby reducing the competition for local rice variants,” Cabinet Spokesman Keheliya Rambukwella said, responding to a question.
Rambukella claimed that paddy farmers were not getting a high price for their crops.
(Source: Daily FT)
- Sri Lankan Rupee appreciates against U.S. Dollar June 1, 2023
- Professionals belonging to 14 categories required to register with Inland Revenue Department from June 01 June 1, 2023
- Bruno Divakara remanded until June 07 June 1, 2023
- Over 9,000 dengue cases reported in Sri Lanka in May, 2023 June 1, 2023
- Sri Lanka unexpectedly cuts rates by 250 bps as inflation eases June 1, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s key inflation rate eases to 25.2% in May June 1, 2023
- Fuel prices revised in Sri Lanka May 31, 2023
Why Basmati? Our ‘Samba’ is not good enough? In Pakistan & India, root cause for obesity and diabetes is blamed for consuming Basmati!!!
Local rice purchase does not earn Komis.
Better to import plastic rice called Basmati from the Pakis and make the rich people richer with Greenback Komis.