Sri Lankan President expresses condolence over China quake
Beijing, Apr. 21 (Xinhua-ANI): Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa, on Sunday said he was deeply saddened to hear of the loss of lives and devastation as a result of the earthquake in southwest China.
In a condolence message to Chinese President Xi Jinping, Rajapaksa said while natural disasters and their consequences are beyond human control, he is certain that the Chinese people will courageously face it and recover in the shortest possible time under the Chinese President’s leadership.
“I offer my deepest condolences to the members of the bereaved families and sympathies to all those whose lives have been affected. At this hour of grief, the sincere thoughts and prayers of the people of Sri Lanka are with the people of China. I wish a speedy recovery to those who are injured,” he said.
A 7.0-magnitude earthquake hit Lushan county, Ya’an city of southwest China’s Sichuan Province on Saturday, leaving at least 180 people dead and over 11,000 injured.
President Mahinda Rajapaksa told Chinese President Xi that the disaster will get the Sri Lankan government’s highest consideration.
Sri Lanka has strong diplomatic ties with China, which facilitates the development on the island by funding the construction of new roadways, a harbor, an international airport and power projects. (Xinhua-ANI)
- Ven. Rajangane Saddharathana Thera arrested May 29, 2023
- Nathasha Edirisooriya remanded till June 7 May 28, 2023
- Fuel quota to be increased from Tuesday May 28, 2023
- India did more for Sri Lanka than IMF – Jaishankar May 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka to Issue digital birth certificates May 28, 2023
- Nathasha Edirisooriya arrested over remarks on Buddhism May 28, 2023
- Veteran Diplomat Jayantha Dhanapala passes away May 27, 2023