Sri Lankan universities in big league
- Among top 100 in South Asia Colombo University ranked eighth
- Peradeniya University placed 23rd
The government’s efforts to improve higher education has paid off with six universities in the country being ranked among the top 100 universities in South Asia.
According to the international grading of universities, six Sri Lankan universities, namely, Colombo, Peradeniya, Sri Jayawardenapura, Jaffna, Rajarata and the Open University have been upgraded, Higher Education Ministry Secretary Dr. Sunil Jayantha Nawaratne said.
According to the Top 100 in South Asia in the 2012, the Ranking Web of World Universities placed the Colombo University in the top 10 at 8th place while the Peradeniya University is ranked 23rd , Moratuwa University 50th, Sri Jayewardenepura University 61st and Kelaniya University at 98th. The Jaffna, Rajarata and Open Universities have not been ranked among the top 100 yet.
Dr. Nawaratne stated that it is the objective of the Higher Education Ministry to upgrade local universities to international standards by next year and the President has allocated Rs. 600 million for this plan.
Courtesy: Daily News
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka lacks commitment and discipline – Murali December 3, 2023
- Sri Lanka President Ranil Wickremesinghe meets Bill Gates December 3, 2023
- Indian envoy visits Sri Lanka’s north, underscores India’s commitment to country December 3, 2023
- Sri Lanka President at COP28 urges bold action in the face of alarming climate predictions December 2, 2023
- Diana Gamage, Sujith Perera and Rohana Bandara banned from Parliament December 2, 2023