Sri Lanka’s President issued a Gazette appointing Ranil Wickremesinghe as the Acting President
Sri Lanka President Gotabaya Rajapaksa has issued an extraordinary gazette appointing Ranil Wickremesinghe as Acting President of Sri Lanka.
The relevant gazette notice states that Prime Minister Ranil Wickramasinghe will be appointed to perform the duties of the presidency during his absence from the island.
Therefore, the President has appointed Ranil Wickremesinghe, Prime Minister of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka under Article 37 (1) of the Constitution of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka, with effect from 13th July 2022, to exercise, perform and discharge the powers, duties, and functions of the Office of President during such period of my absence from Sri Lanka.
Below is the gazette announcement.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Wanindu Hasaranga suspended for two matches, fined February 25, 2024
- Parliamentary committees summon CBSL officials over 70% salary increase February 25, 2024
- STF arrests Army Corporal over Mahabage shooting that killed “Ukkuwa” February 24, 2024
- Senior U.S. official discusses Sri Lanka’s IMF program in Colombo February 24, 2024
- U.S. Deputy Secretary of State commends Sri Lanka’s economic efforts February 23, 2024